Monday, January 18, 2010

10K

I signed up for The Cowtown, and I will be running my very first 10K (6.2 miles). I have always wanted to run in a marathon, and I figured since I am turning 30 this year it would be a perfect time. The race is the day after my 30th birthday, so no crazy birthday celebration for me! Ha! I have been training for a couple of weeks, and I have had a few things try to deter me from my goal...I will NOT cave. Let me say that again, I WILL NOT CAVE!!
David came home last week and informed me that someone had been attacked by a group of boys on the running trails and took their ipod. I primarily run on the running trails here in our neighborhood, and I always run with my ipod (I have even gone on runs in the dark). Hearing this story scared me and got me off of my training schedule. I did not run for 5 days for fear that it would happen to me too. I don't want to give up running the race, and I definitely don't want these boys to get in the way of my goal.
So, yesterday I was ready to go for a run. I made David go with me, just in case. David got on his bike, and I put Landon in the jogging strolling and we went out for a run. David and Landon stopped to play at a park, and I jogged around the perimeter so I was pretty close to them. It was a beautiful day and there were lots of people out walking. As I was running, I began to pass a couple that were walking with their dog. They were on the left side of the trail, so I jogged past them on the right side. As I jogged past them, their dog, which was a pit bull, lunged at me. I felt a pain on my elbow, and my elbow was wet--I just knew it was blood. I thought I had been bit by this dog. At this point I am thinking, "I am NEVER running again!" Fortunately, I checked my elbow and all was okay. The owner made sure I was okay, too. David saw the incident happen, and noticed that the owner had to restrain the dog anytime someone walked by. I'm going to keep my opinions about this dog to myself.
I will run with great caution from here on out! There are 40 more days until race day, and I hope they are drama free running days, too! I told David that I needed to get a can of pepper spray to carry on my runs. I will not let these things get in the way of my goal...I WILL NOT CAVE!!

No comments: